Apply for a smallholding
Thank you for your interest in our very first smallholdings for new entrants to ecological agriculture.
Applications have now closed.
The Ecological Land Co-operative is selling two holdings at Greenham Reach, Holcombe Rogus, Devon. They are 6.5 acres (Plot B) and 8 acres (Plot C).
UPDATE 18 June: A chartered surveyor has sized the plots at 6.87 acres for Plot B, 8.45 acres for Plot C, and .80 acres for the Communal Area.
We will be selling the holdings with permission to build a low impact dwelling, shared lane access, shared barn, PV solar array, potable water supply and on-site biological grey water treatment. Price: £72,000.
UPDATE 1 July: The smallholdings are also available on a rental-purchase basis.
For full details please download our application pack:
Below we have made available documentation that you may want to read, including reports on the site, site plans and the Management Plan.
Please contact Oli Rodker (oli @ ecologicalland.coop) or Zoe Wangler (zoe @ ecologicalland.coop) if you have any concerns, queries, etc. at all. We pride ourselves on absolutely always getting back to you so if you don't hear from us after you've sent an email, either try the other email address or contact us through the web form.
- Site location plan
- Block Plan (Plot B)
- Block Plan (Plot C)
- Farm Business Plan (Plot B)
- Farm Business Plan (Plot C)
- Section 106 Agreement and Management Plan
- Planning permission
- Topographical survey
- Soil tests
- Flood risk assessment
- Report on the suitability of the site by soil scientist: Roger Hitchings, Organic Research Centre
- Site report: Martin Crawford, Agroforestry Research Trust
- Site report: Mandy Goddard, Spring Grove Farm, Devon
- Barn design
- Small is Successful booklet
- Rules of the Ecological Land Co-operative IPS
Our planning applications received over 60 letters of support including from:
- Mark Simmonds, Making Local Food Work
- Ruth West, Campaign for Real Farming
- Caroline Lucas MP
- Jonathon Porritt
- Rachel Harries, Soil Association
- John Hemming MP
- Zach Goldsmith MP
- Patrick Krause, CE, Scottish Crofting Federation
- Ben Brangwyn, Transition Network
- Andy Goldring, CEO, Permaculture Association